The Kvarken Council EGTC, together with its members, applied for funding as a single beneficiary in its role as an EGTC for the first time in history. The first project, FAIR 2, is a continuation of the electric aviation project FAIR that ended in October 2022. The new project aims to increase understanding of the demand for sustainable regional flights.
– The project is a continuation of the previous FAIR project and it’s based on one of the action decisions suggested for future development. The goal is to become an early adopter of sustainable regional aviation.
– The project strives to increase understanding of the demand for sustainable regional aviation. Current travel patterns will be mapped, and identified demand and competitiveness for routes will be analyzed, explains Mr Mathias Lindström, Director of the Kvarken Council.
Testing the Application of the New Organizational Form in Practice
The Kvarken Council EGTC’s role as a single beneficiary in FAIR 2 is new both for the Council and its members. This alternative is available for an EGTC organizational form and enables the cross-border collaboration of the Kvarken Council’s members in the project, even though the funding and administration is completely handled by the Council.
– This is a significant improvement that facilitates both the application procedure and the handling of various projects. Together with the partners and the financier, which is the Interreg Aurora programme, we will now learn how this works in practice. It will be both exciting and educational, Mr Lindström says.
Sustainable Aviation as a Theme Even in a Larger Partnership
The second project, New North, aims to analyze transport systems in the northern parts of the Nordic countries in light of the changed geopolitical situation. The main partner is the Regional Council of Lapland. One of the project’s work packages focuses on sustainable aviation and is led by the County Administrative Board of Västerbotten County in cooperation with the Kvarken Council. This project, too, takes the previous FAIR project’s knowledge base one step forward.
– The work package uses the previous FAIR project’s materials as a starting point and primarily aims at increasing the level of knowledge in a larger area and forming a shared vision for sustainable aviation.
– Given the new geopolitical situation, market changes, development of the business environment, and previous research, this gives a completely new perspective on security of supply and accessibility, Mr Lindström says.
The Kvarken Council and its partners are naturally pleased with the decision and thank the Interreg Aurora programme.
– This is fantastic news that gives us the opportunity to continue being pioneers in these sectors in the region. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our partners and the financier for these opportunities. With the help of cooperation, we can together take faster steps forward when it comes to regional development, Mr Lindström says.
The two approved projects applied by Kvarken Council EGTC with its partners:
Budget and funding: The total budget of this project is 450 430,00 EUR, whereof 292 780,00 EUR EU-funding via the Interreg Aurora programme. The rest of the funding comes from Finnish national and Swedish regional co-funding, from the Nordic Council of Ministers and from municipal and private co-funding.
Project partners: Kvarken Council EGTC.
Financiers: Interreg Aurora, Kvarken Council EGTC, Regional Council of Lapland.
Budget and funding: The total budget of this project is 1 980 592,00 EUR, whereof 1 053 690,00 EUR EU-funding via the Interreg Aurora programme. The rest of the funding comes from Finnish national and Swedish regional co-funding, from the Nordic Council of Ministers and from municipal and private co-funding.
Project partners/ Financiers: Interreg Aurora (financier), Regional Council of Lapland, Regional Council of Kainuu, Kvarken Council EGTC, Länsstyrelsen Norrbotten, Länsstyrelsen Västerbotten, Regional Council of North Karelia, Council of Oulu Region, Finnmark fylkeskommune, Nordland fylkeskommune, Troms fylkeskommune.